AS ADAM SAYS "GOOD TIMES!"
For those of you who inquire into what I've been reading lately, and what are some interesting books to look into, here are the books--not journal articles--I've read since September up to now (three of them I am 3/4 of the way through and will be finished with them in a couple of weeks):
The Republic and Parmenides, Plato
Plato and Platonism, Julius Moravcsik
Plato and Platonism, Walter Pater
Plato's Theory of Art, Rupert Lodge
Plato's Theory of Fine Art, Constantine Cavarnos
Plato's View of Art, Whitney J. Oates
(A little knowledge of Greek will go a long way for you when reading these first 6 books.)
The Blackwell Guide to Plato's Republic, (Ed. Gerasimos Santas)
There is a paper in here entitled, "The Divided Soul and the Desire for Good in Plato's Republic", which was written by Mariana Anagnostopoulos, who was a visting lecturer at UCLA when both Carlos and Steve, as well as me, were students there. Carlos promptly dropped the Plato class she was teaching after Anagnostopoulos said to me, after I asked her a question about the logical implications of one of Plato's arguments, that if I wanted to do logic I was in the wrong class. Wow! That was after I asked her how she was using the term "nature" in reference to Plato's theory of the soul, and she answered that she really didn't know. Wow! I stuck the class out and got a lame B when the two moronic pre-law school, not-a-single-philosophical-bone-in-their-body-burnout girls who sat on the right side of the room both got A's. It blows me away to this day how people who know nothing about the material, who can't identify a philosophical problem, and who never even think philosophically, are able to get A's out of philosophy classes; while those of us who take the stuff seriously, have a strong frame of reference, and work hard at it, get mediocre grades. I really learned nothing from that class. The class was Plato's early and middle dialogues and it was cross-listed with the Classics dept.
An Introduction to Plato's Republic, Julie Annas
Introducion to a Philosophy of Music, Peter Kivy
An Introduction to Philosophy of Music, R. A. Sharpe
Music and Meaning, Coker
The Aesthetics of Music, Roger Scruton
Analytic Philosophy: An historical Introduction, Barry Gross
Spreading the Word, Simon Blackburn
Moral Realism: A Defence, Shafer-Landau
Language, Truth, and Logic, Ayer (Get the Dover edition with Ayer's updated prefatory comments. This is an unabridged 1952 edition of the original 1946 edition. ISBN: 0486200108 Since it's Dover you know it's gonna be good quality for a cheap price).
Truth and Objectivity, Crispin Wright
An Introduction to Contemporary Metaethics, Miller
Philosophical Analysis in the 20th Century: Volume 1 The Dawn of Analysis, Scott Soames
The Spirit of Early Christian Thought, Wilkins

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home